Decryption on sql2005 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Decryption on sql2005

What solutions are available?
Is there a way to read about from server’s metadata? Gus.
I am not sure what your question is. But in general, 2005 offers two types of encryption: symmetric and asymmetric keys. For each of these, you can choose several different types of encryption methods. Encryption is done on a table by table basis, or column by column basis, and if not not correctly, can cause huge performance issues. Books Online has lots of good information on this topic. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
Brad, Sorry for unclear question.
I meant a case when an object is encrypted on the server (for example, a trigger) and I want to decrypt DDL of the one. I didn’t mean to decrypt data, but wanted to know whether there was a way to decrypt script-based encrypted objects. Gus.
Here’s an edited quote from the 2005 Books Online. The use of the WITH ENCRYPTION clause that SQL Server will convert the original text of the CREATE statement to an obfuscated format. The output of the obfuscation is not directly visible in any of the catalog views in SQL Server 2005. Users that have no access to system tables or database files cannot retrieve the obfuscated text. However, the text will be available to privileged users that can either access system tables over the DAC port or directly access database files. Also, users that can attach a debugger to the server process can retrieve the decrypted procedure from memory at runtime. For more information about accessing system metadata, see Metadata Visibility Configuration. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
Brad, Great! Thank you for your response.
]]>