Defragging HDD with SQL DB on them | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Defragging HDD with SQL DB on them

Hi All,
Our SQL DB’s are performing really badly and one thing is the hard disks that the logs and dbs are located are heavy fragmented! Whats the best way to defrag those disks? Take DB’s offline etc etc??? Just after some guidelines. Many Thanks
Jonno
For offline windows defrag, for online diskeeper. I prefer Disskeeper even off line. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Diskeeper! Cool thanks! I am guessing defragmentation will affect the running of DB’s quite badly?? Many Thanks.
Well, if you are sure that all optimization was done and all maintenance plan are working, then disk fragmentation could down performance.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
Well I had the optimizations and backups runnning nightly and everything was great and then the powers that by for a reason I can’t go into decided that it should only happen at weekends! DOH! Now its running like a dog! I have analysed the hard disks and they are completely red which must be really bad!! I will popping out to get a copy of diskeeper this weekend! Thanks for your help!!
I don’t think disk fragmentation is the problem.
I suggest to read: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_performance_audit11.asp Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Ok I will go through the whole topic tomorrow and see what happens! I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the help so far! Cheers
Jonno
Try to run hardware defrag tool during offline hours if you can afford downtime on SQL server, if not exclude SQL data directories for this defrag tool. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>