Disk Configuration Suggestions | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Disk Configuration Suggestions

We have a new HP DL380 server with a p400 going in along with an attached MSA50 with a p600. I have all the drive bays filled and wanted to know what people would recommend in setting up the RAID, channels, etc. We have 2 databases which are between 10-20 GB each. Here’s what I was thinking, please let me know if you’d suggest something else and why. – RAID 10 in the MSA50 with both databases.
– 2 x RAID 1 in the server with the logs. Now I’m not sure. Either…
– RAID 1 for tempdb.
– RAID 1 for OS, programs. Or…
– RAID 5 for tempdb, OS and programs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What is the database availability agreement?
How about the backup arrangements? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
quote:Originally posted by satya What is the database availability agreement?
How about the backup arrangements?
Backup are made every evening and the databases should maintain high availability. Down time is allowed late night, early morning.
I would go with the RAID 1 approach, why because it is always faster. TempDB is always write intensive which is a bottle neck for RAID 5. I dont have any real good links on this most of my hardware stuff is hard copy but I am sure you can find many on the net. Raulie
If you have two physical drives available for strictly TEMPDB use in a DW environment – is there a consideration of a two-drive Raid 0 array as opposed to the single mirrored pair??
I would go with Raulie’s suggestion in this case in addition to keeping up the transaction log backups for point in time recovery purpose. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
]]>