Drive Partition Best practices | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Drive Partition Best practices

Hello, I have a server with 6 internal drives and I asked for a 4 drive RAID 10 and a 2 drive RAID 1 configuration to my network team for them to build. They configured the RAID 10 with the full space, but configured the RAID 1 C: drive with only 20GB instead of the full 65GB. In order for them to fix, they have to reconfigure the entire server and are asking if I want to just allocate the unused space on the RAID 1 to a D: drive. Is it better to have a 65GB C: drive that holds the OS, SQL binaries, TempDB and Log files (right now I don’t have log files – simple recovery mode)? Or have a 12GB C: drive with the OS and SQL binaries and a 48GB D: drive for the TempDB’s and Log files? I hate to ask them to rebuild the server as per my original requirements if the new scenario will work the same or better, performance wise? All input is greatly appreciated! Thanks. Rodney
i think this is ok.
20GB is more than enough for the OS, and it really doesn’t hurt to have the log on the second partition
it would depend on what app is doing, tempdb could go on either the RAID 10 or RAID 1 set
I would go with Joe’s suggestion and keep the TEMPDB on a seperated drive by allocating necessary size. For relevancy make sure to leave memory settings to DYNAMIC if the server is a dedicated one to SQL server. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Joe/Satya, Thanks. I will leave alone and keep my TempDB on the D: drive (RAID 1 partition, same physical drive as the OS and SQL binaries). I want to keep the RAID10 for data files and backups only. By the way, the server is not dedicated. Thanks.
In that case you have to take care about memory. If you leave SQL memory dynamically, SQL will try to reach all memory.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
True and always keep an eye of total server memory counter from PERFMON and if required add more physical memory. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>