EMC MirrorView | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

EMC MirrorView

Hi, My company currenty uses an EMX CX-700 SAN to host all our SQL server clusters. After some aggravation it now works very well – so I’m a happy DBA. [8D] So along comes my boss and says we are going to open another data centre, in another country, and it’s going to mirror what we have in the UK. The head begins to ache… Ok so this is for DR purposes only and it all the hardware will be identical. I only have a live database at one site at a time – no load balancing. EMC have recommended we use MirrorView, which is there product for syncing 2 SAN’s byte by byte at disk level. In principle it sounds very clever (and complicated) but not unreasonable. Has anyone got any experinces they can share with me of this product? I have reservations, particulary with DR recovery and the files being in a attachable state. I’m getting a demo in a couple of weeks – so this is just for background work really. Personally being a DBA I’m happy with log shipping – but this wouldn’t appear to be fancy enough for some…. Many thanks!
you might ask how much this software will cost, and what your plans for migrating to SQL Server 200X are, because with the next version, this capability will be built in, not requiring the software from the SAN vendor
Have had any success yet? My company is looking at doing the same exact thing and I have had no luck with our initial testing. I would be very interested in hearing your experience.
Simon Any option of upgrading to SQL 2005 soon? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
]]>