Enterprise Manager | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Enterprise Manager

I am getting the follwing error when trying to connect through EM.
quote:A connection could not be established to XXXX
Reason: SQLServer does not exist or access denied
ConnectionOpen (Connect())..
Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties (by right-clicking on the
XXXX node) and try again.

I know SQL Server is running, because the apps that uses it works fine. I’ve tried to connect via Enterprise Manager from other PCs at my work, and they are able to connect fine with the same exact settings.
I tried rebooting the system but didnt work.
What actually causes this to happen?
Thanks!
"He laughs best who laughs last"
EM is a GUI tool.
Sometimes works fine sometimes don’t.
If you can conect using Query Analyzer in that PC, I suggest to reinstall all tools. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Luis
ofcourse you are right but I just found that I am having the same problem with other PC also. So I have same problem on 2 systems. I am curious to know what actually the problem is? OK as you said if it may be problem because of the tool, then how come its creating same problem on 2 systems. Thanks!
Ok, but in both PC’s can you reach server using QA?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
Have you looked into the name resolution for the server? I have seen similar issues where the name resolution was set up with the local Hosts file on individual machines rather than via DNS, with the effect that one PC could "see" the server and other(s) could not. What happens if you just PING the server by name and by IP address?
Hi,
also setup wins server and set dns property properly ..to check the dns configuration run nslookup it will show you the dns name …
Regards hsGoswami
[email protected]
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemant Goswami

Luis..
I am able to reach server through QA from 1 of my PC and the other i am unable to. merilla..
Abt the name resolution I have never done that, can you plss guide me regarding that, its a gr8 help. Thanks. Hemant..
setting up WINS is something which network people has to do or a DBA? and how to setup those? Thanks!
Regarding name resolution; Each machine you have a problem check the results of command line tools such as nslookup and ping using the server name, check the netbios cache afterwards as well with nbtstat. Basically if you ping the IP address the result should display the name in brackets. If not nslookup servername will tell you whether DNS is set up properly.
As I do always check this KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328306 to resolve the issue. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Also check port using Client Network (SQL Tools).
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
HI ,
nslookup run on the pc where dns entry is not done / trust relationship fails it will not resolve name of the system ,whenever we issue nslookup and dns is properly configured with reverselookup it will shows you the full dns name like : Default Server: srvname.dnsname
Address: 100.100.100.1 and when not confiigured properly it will shows you like this : DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can’t find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1 nbtstat -s : will show you the statistics of the current session
wins is a used to resolve netbios name lmhosts.sam file resides at %systemroot%system32driversetc .. open the file using text editor and at the end of the file write ipaddress of the sqlserver and then netbios name of the sqlserver ,it will set lmhosts entry ..
and setting up wins is offcourse a work of network ppl but at my site i am responsible for networking tooo and as per my expereince i suggest you its not a big deal to setup a wins server… and now turn to basic question , as you are able to connect using qa from one system and not from another please try re-installing client tools .
Regards
hsGoswami
[email protected]
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemant Goswami

]]>