Enterprise Manager Problem | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Enterprise Manager Problem

Hi all The server is SQL Server 2000 (SP3) on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The client tools are installed on a machine with Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition. I can successfully register the server on the client but when I try to open a table with return all rows, it gives me a message saying that "An Unexpected Error Happened" and it closes the window that is supposed to return me the rows. It however doesn’t kill EM. I have checked service packs on machines, I have reinstalled everything again with no luck. Has anyone run into the same problem? Does it have to do anything with 2003 server? Thanks guys!!
-Rajeev Lahoty
Also, I failed to mention that I have SA privileges on that client machine. I can query the same data from QA without any problem. Also, when I try to expand databases, I get a MMC error saying that Snap-in initialize failed. Do you guys have any idea? I am stumped.
If you can use Query Analyzer and see all rows of that table, then the problems is because EM is a GUI tool.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hello Rajeev,
How many rows in the table you are trying to query? simas
I suspect the corrupted client tools and mismatched DLLs for the ENterprise Manager (MMC) to use, as referred check the results with Query analyzer for information, replace the client tools for correct measures. Its better to not to query the database using ENterprise Manager, QA is best tool. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
It has almost 7000 rows in the table. Well, I agree with you Satya that QA is the best to query the database. However, I am curious to know why I am getting this error. Corrupted client tools is a possibility but I think I eliminated this when I reinstalled everything again. I will do some more research and talk to Microsoft support too if I need to. (I hope they don’t tell me "Install Windows 2003 again"). In the mean time, if you guys have any pointer, could you please let me know. Thanks
-Rajeev Lahoty
That ‘Unexpected error happened…’ is referring to OS files as well.
Have you tried accessing from another machine? Else, the error may be because some of the dll’s installed during the client install are older versions and thus are incompatible with the SQL Enterprise Manager. As a cure (re)install the latest service pack for the version of SQL Server, or reinstall the relevant MDAC from Universal Data Access Web Site. To verify the integrity of the existing MDAC on your machine, you can use the Component Checker tool available athttp://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm Data access download site.
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>