Enterprise Manger is opened slowly | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Enterprise Manger is opened slowly

when i start enterprise manager after clicking Databases it opens
very slowly sometimes more than one minutes. i found that when the number of databases on the server becomes more and more the delay for opening EM also becomes more. but i dont know way and how i can solve the problem
Opening EM is not always speedy, but one minute seems like a little too long for me. I have some questions for you. Is EM on the sever or on another machine? If they are on different machines, do both of them take a long time, or is one faster than the other? Which version of SQL Server and SP are you using? How many databases do you have on the server? If EM and SQL Server are on the different servers, what network libraries are being used, and also what is the network protocols being used on the network. Is this a new problem, or have you had it awhile. If awhile, how long. I know these are lots of questions, but I need more facts before I can offer potential solutions.
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
I believe if you use named pipes using named convention for server it will be delayed a few times from EM. I had this problem and resolved it by changing to IP Address under client network utility protocol. As Brad referred you need to explain those few things. HTH Satya SKJ
We had a similar problem using v. 2000 (RTM) EM against a SQL 7.0 server with many, many databases. Upgrading the client tools to SP2 did the trick. There is a Knowledge Base article on this– http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282416
thanks AllyAnneA. it worked fine.
I am glad you found the answer to your problem. In case you are interested, SP3 for SQL Server 2000 will be out very soon (its in beta now), and it will be providing a lot of fixes, performance tweaks, and security patches. It will also provide a way to automatically apply new hot fixes when they become available in the future. I highly recommend that it be installed as soon as it is released.
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Yes waiting for that realese, but always test the pack and apply on production. Otherwise it may have some issues like SP3 for SQL 7 had. Fyi. HTH Satya SKJ
]]>