Error 3201 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Error 3201

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3201: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device ‘C:program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQLBACKUP//Backup_ieserver/E/Backup estonly_db_200704241715.BAK’. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. May i know what is the problem happen during i want backup my data at others directory….
Your backup location is the problem "’C:program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQLBACKUP//Backup_ieserver/E/Backup estonly_db_200704241715.BAK’" If you look at it carefully, you have to backup paths….one is local "’C:program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQLBACKUP" and the other is network "//Backup_ieserver/E/Backup"…when you are giving network drive with UNC name you use backward slash ‘\’ not forward slash ‘//’… Run the following command and see….
Backup database <dbname>
to disk = ‘\Backup_ieserver/E/Backup est.bak’ with init
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

… also if you are using the network location then ensure SQL Server services account has relevant privleges to write the file. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>