error code 3241 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

error code 3241

i am getting an error while i try restore the .bak file "
The media family on device ‘D: st estdb.BAK’ is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3241)
thanks
The backup was done in the same SQL, server, etc.?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
no the backup was done on different server.i copied the .bak file to the new server where i need to create the new database as like old server.while i try to restore i am getting this error
Ok. Sound like the original backup has some error. Could you create a new one and try again? Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Priyaram Try ‘restore verifyonly’ command to make sure the .bak file is not corrrupt Satya
Mostly you get this error when your backup file is incompleted…
This happens when the backup job terminated abnormally and it could not delete the backup file…
I don’t think there is any use of running VERIFY in this case because HEADERONLY is terminating…
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
True and you might take another backup from Source server to ensure health state on that server, better early than late. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>