EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

If I run this query select db_name() select name from master..sysdatabases where
has_dbaccess(name)=1
I get this below error…but this occurs on one server and not on the
other…why it happens so ?? ODBC: Msg 0, Level 19, State 1
SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 74 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process. but this does’t occur when I login as SA and run this query
In that case you need to check the following :
1) SQL Server error logs
2) Windows Application and System log for any OS related errors
3) Does the SQL error log have any AV or DUMP list.
4) Do the AV happen randomly or can you reproduce at will?
5) Any changes on SQL Server (Any new service packs, any server configuration changes, etc)?
6.) Any changes on the Windows Server?
HTH Satya SKJ
I have seen this error before. In fact, we still get it periodically, and it only occurs on a single server, no others. We contacted Microsoft about it, and what they told us that it is a bug, and sometimes happens when a user tries to access data from a table when the server doesn’t think that they have proper permissions to access the table, even if they really do have permission. So instead of an access denied message being provided, as it should be, this exception error appears instead. The work-around is to be sure that the user has DBO or higher privledges for the database. Microsoft was unable to tell us if this problem will be fixed SP3 or not, as the problem is very rare and it is very difficult to reproduce. Now, of course, what caused this issue in our case may be different than your case, it is hard to say, but at least you may want to consider our work-around, which in fact you have, as when you logged in as SA, the problem went away. We have found that the error message doesn’t cause any problems, other than the message being produced, and of course, we have had to upgrade priviledges to some users so they can access the data. This may or may not apply to this case as you are dealing with the master database, which typical users don’t really need to access in most cases.
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
In support to Brad’s tip, I had experienced the similar situation. If you have SQL code that causes an AV it is Microsoft’s bug, not yours. There is nothing anyone outside of Microsoft support can do to help you. So you need to dig out from hardware side on this server particularly, as you say on others it works fine. BTW, just run query against SYSNAME table and see the results. Satya SKJ
]]>