Extract data from tabel [RESOLVED] | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Extract data from tabel [RESOLVED]

I have a problem when I want to extract all data from a tabel in my SQL 200 data base. Some columns allow up to 900 caracters. How should I be able to show this data in a query analyser (even in text mode or save to file) is truncating the data. I want to be able to save this to Excel. regards Under Tools in Query analyser I can get the column to show all 900 caracters
Query analyser has an option to restrict character data to a set maximum length. It is not a true representation of what the query is returning. Use DTS Export wizard and you will see. It will also let you export directly to Excel
thanks!
What do you mean not "true representation" of what the query is returning? Wher do I find the DTS wizard?
On the query analyzer goto Tools –> Options –> Results tab and specify the value for ‘Maximum characters per column’. For the DTS WIzard from Enterprise Manager —> Tools —> Wizards —> DTS and select DTS Export wizard, rest is self-explanatory. If this is an ongoing requirement you can schedule the specified DTS package for future dates. Books online is the best resource for more information. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thanks satya! Well In the wizard one should specify an Excelbook (.xls), should this be an empty or is the wizard creating a new sheet? Cannot make that to work. It says "cannot access ‘filename’ when I want to open the excel file
If you want to export the data then you should specify the referred excel sheet filename and ensure the login used has required privilege to access the file path. Ensure the specified excel file is not opened or used by any other application.
Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>