Extracting a table | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Extracting a table

Hey guys this is my first post and I am hoping you can help. I have a large table I would like to extract and be able to manipulate in excel or access. I use query analyzer and run a query to get all of the data and then save it as a .csv or .tab but it is too large for excel and I cannot get it to import properly into access. Is there a better way to go about this or a better program to handle these very large files? Thanks
Why do you want to export it? Why not analyze it in SQL Server? Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
I am moving the data onto my laptop which does not have sql server
IMO you should have sql server installed in your laptop.
1) eliminate the problem with the large files
2) you will still be able to use excel or access or whatever other program to connect to sql server for analysis purpose.
3) since the file is so big, sql server would be a better engine/data provider to store your data compared to excel/access.

But if you can’t use SQL Server on your laptop, extract the data using DTS. You can pump direct from SQL Server to Excel using the Import/Extract Data wizard. Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
If not you can use LINKED SERVER concept from the SQL Server whereever its installed, refer to the books online fro further information on DTS & Linked server. (moved for General DBA section) Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>