Fail to start server after change of computer name | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Fail to start server after change of computer name

After change of computer name and domain, my MSSQL server could not start. Error message is "An error 1069 – [The service did not start due to a logon failue] occured while performing this service operation on the MSSQL Server service." Do I need to change any setting or update the registry? Or I need to reinstall the MSSQL server?
Hi Rerun the SQL server Installation. It’ll detect the conflict & ask you for upgrade. Its quick & doesn’t harm any data but I recommend copy your MDF & LDF files so that you could attach them later in case of prolems. I’ve tried manytimes doing it by modifying registry, but it didn;t work. HTH
Harsh
Hi,
take copy the MDF and LDF files of the databases you want to restore,
do a new SQL Server Registration,
create the databases in the new registration
use the attach for collecting the data.
No need to rerun the SQL setup or reattach the databases.
Ensure the account used to start SQL Services has correct password and necessary privileges to startup the service. BTW what is the version of SQL used>? Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forums This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I’m sorry to tell you guys that my SQL server is version 7.0. I tried to run the setup again but still fail to start the MSSQL server service. On point to clarify, after change of computer name, the login user & password were changed as well but the new user is still an administrator.
One more information: the domain was also changed.
quote:Originally posted by khchan I’m sorry to tell you guys that my SQL server is version 7.0. I tried to run the setup again but still fail to start the MSSQL server service. On point to clarify, after change of computer name, the login user & password were changed as well but the new user is still an administrator.

the domain was also changed
Right in that case install SQL from the scratch on that domain and do not select to auto-start the services while installing and change the service account name and password once it finishes successfully. Ensure to apply the latest Service pack and proper backups for the databases. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forums This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Our network guy here installed sql with the default settings…so now when i bring up SQL EM i get local
but i need to delete this and add a new registration. Its says use windows login account or sa………..If i use sa…will the SERVER be in mixed mode authenticaion….or i set that afterwards.. Also i want the SQL to start with DOMAIN/SQL account how to change. I know if i installed the SQL i can select all this during installation.. Thanks
Just delete that (local) entry from enterprise manager and re-register the server with usual ‘Register a server’ option from enterprise manager. If you are able to logon using SQL login (not with SA) then the server is in mixed mode, otherwise you can check the authentication by running
SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY(‘IsIntegratedSecurityOnly’)
for more information. Follow this KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283811 to change the service account, make sure you have tested this on a test bed before doing it on production server. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi,
quote:Originally posted by khchan After change of computer name and domain, my MSSQL server could not start. Error message is "An error 1069 – [The service did not start due to a logon failue] occured while performing this service operation on the MSSQL Server service." Do I need to change any setting or update the registry? Or I need to reinstall the MSSQL server?

the error message itself is very descriptive..only thing to ensure is to re-check the useraccount and password for SQL Server Service Agent. Regards Hemantgiri S. Goswami
[email protected]
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemantgiri S. Goswami

]]>