Failed Backup | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Failed Backup

I am running Win2000 with SQL2000. My backup has been working fine for a couple of days, until this morning. Here’s the error message I got from my nightly backup job: [Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 945: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Database ‘IEX39’ cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space. See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. 1. I have plenty of backup space – over 1.6 terabytes free on the backup drive
2. No users are logged into the database – test database and server was rebooted after the failed backup
3. I can query the database fine and view a list of tables in Enterprise manager
4. The SQL Server log pretty much says the same thing as the error message, not much help I tried to create a new maintence job and just backup the problem database. Same error.
I tried to create a new maintence job to optimize the database. Same Error.
I tried to create a new maintence job to reorganize the database. Same Error.
Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/trblsql/tr_reslsyserr_1_2d9x.asp Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Ok, I had to do some research on what other people were doing, but here’s the conclusion: 1. Permissions were changed on the drive where the database resides and not rebooted 2. Everyone still had access to the databases on that drive 3. Machine was rebooted a couple days later and when SQL Server was restarted, it was unable to get access to the drive and put the databases into suspect status. I put the permissions back on the drive and rebooted SQL Server and now everything works fine. Thanks for any responses to this post.
Live to Throw
Throw to Live
]]>