fcb::close-flush: Operating system error 21(The de | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

fcb::close-flush: Operating system error 21(The de

We are using sql server 2005 Enterprise Edition with service pack1 I got the following error messages in the SQL log The operating system returned error 21(The device is not ready.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x00000000090000 in file ‘….mdf’. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.
fcb::close-flush: Operating system error 21(The device is not ready.) encountered.
I got these errors for about 2 hrs and after that I see these messages in the sql log Starting up database ‘ ‘
1 transactions rolled forward in database ” (). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
0 transactions rolled back in database ‘ ‘ (). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
Recovery is writing a checkpoint in database ‘ ‘ ( ). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
CHECKDB for database ” finished without errors on (local time). This is an informational message only; no user action is required.
Can anyone please help me in troubleshooting this issue. Why this migh have happened. any help would be appreciated. Thanks
fcb::close-flush: Operating system error 21:
Related to your HW, check for system/application log for more details… Other messages related to database recovery… MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Thats for sure as it is having difficulty in accessing the database files located on that drive or controller issues.
Are you using direct attached storage or a SAN? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
We are using Netapp SCSi storage. Can you please tell me how do i troubleshoot this issue?
Thanks
Have you referred to that Vendor’s website for any firmware upgrade?
Better to get the hardware vendor to certify the hardware or check under event viewer for any other related errors. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
]]>