Filegrowth changes after the DBCC SHRINKDATABASE c | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Filegrowth changes after the DBCC SHRINKDATABASE c

Using sp_helpfile to my database (SQL Server 2005,SP1) I get the following results Data File size=5103616 KB, maxsize=Unlimited, growth=204800 KB
Log File size=504 KB, maxsize=Unlimited, growth=204800 KB I execute a maintenance plan having only a Shrink Database Task. This task produces the following t-sql USE [myDB]
GO
DBCC SHRINKDATABASE(N’myDB’, 10, TRUNCATEONLY) Now, executing sp_helpfile I get the same result but if i restart sql server I realize that the Data file’s growth changes to growth=25600% (there is no other action or job using my Database) What could cause this? Thanks in advance
What is the option for database growth is it on %age or a value?
Also check the database options such as AUTO_CLOSE or AUTO_SHRINK. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
initially the growth is in MB for both, Data and Log file.
After the execution of the maintenance plan (Shrink DB) the file growth seems to remain the same but if i restart sql server service i can see (sp_helpfile) that the growth changes to 256000% ( which is an abnormal value and causes problems).
I realized that if i change the growth of Data File on my own from 204800MB to 10%, after the shrink step the growth doesnt
change ( remains 10% even after the restart of sql server)
The got tha same result in two different databases on two different servers
The first DB had : AutoClose: false – AutoShrink : true
The second DB had: AutoClose: false – AutoShrink : false

BTW what is the maximum database size defined (for both)?
If this is a production server then I would suggest to not to use AUTOSHRINK. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>