Fileserver/DB configuration | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Fileserver/DB configuration

Hello,
I have a situation where we are migrating to a new hosting facility which means all new hardware and possibly setup. I am thinking about the following configuration: 2 DB Servers (DUAL P4 2.6GHz, 80GB HD, 2 GB RAM)
file server (DUAL P4 2.6GHz, 120GB RAID 5, 2GB RAM) All machines are on the same subnet. I am thinking of putting all data and log files on the file server. Main reasons are for recovery and backup. If the database machines crash, the data files and logs are there to attach in a quick fashion. Is there any perfomance issues associated with this configuration that I should take note of or should I even consider doing this? thanks,
Robb

SQL Server database and log files must be on the same physical server, but you can store all database and log backups on the file server. In fact, this is a fairly common practice. Backing up data and log files to another server over a network should not affect performance, as disk I/O, not the network, is generally the bottleneck. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
For disaster recovery you can adopt LOG SHIPPING which will work in similar fashion. _________
Satya SKJ

]]>