Find free space in database | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Find free space in database

30gig database
5gig trans log I am looking in Enterprise Manager in 2000 and when I pull up properties for the database says that my database size is 35gig and my free space is 3.7gig. When I look at the Taskpad it says that my used data space is 15.6gig and my used data space is 14.4gig. Is says that my used translog space is 27mb and my unused translog space is 4.9gig. (I am rounding the numbers) I know that the number in the properties tab are translog and data space total, but the numbers don’t match up in the amount of free space. All my other databases report the correct amount between the two tabs. I have updated all statistics and usages and truncated the log last night. What’s going on? Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Run sp_spaceused @updateusage = ‘TRUE’ and try again. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Does that command set a switch in Sql Server? If so, how do I find out what the current values is? I already have Auto Update Statistics turned on, if that’s related at all. Live to Throw
Throw to Live
That command update the space free and used in your database.
Auto Update Statistics is for indexes and no for space.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
It is best to get values from Luis’s reference than depending upon Enterprise Manager flaky values.
AUTO STATS to maintiain index values and UPDATEUSAGE to correct values in system tables. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I ran that command on my database. Did I just change a switch on that database, or did I just basically run the equilivant of DBCC UPDATEUSAGE on the database? Live to Throw
Throw to Live
On the database.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Check BOoks online for complete information. Use database
DBCC UPDATEUSAGE or
use database
SP_SPACEUSED @UPDATEUSAGE=’TRUE’ Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>