Force protocol encryption | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Force protocol encryption

Does SQL server encryption slow down code execution?
If i implement it should i still use collumn encryption ?
I haven’t seen any such cases in slow down of performance or execution.
Once this protocol encryption is used then no need to use column encryption in the code.
For information refer thru this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;276553. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Using SSL encryption only helps to encrypt communication between the server and client. You still might want to encrypt sensitive data in the database if there is risk that someone could get hold of the database or hack it trough a web application etc. /Argyle
True, I haven’t seen caeses of slow performance due to encryptopn but there are texts published which state that enabling encryption decreases performance. Also as Argyle said, if the data is sensitive, you should considering encrypting the same. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

If i still have to encrypt sensitive columns then what do i need use SSL encryption for?
SSL encryption deals with communication between a client computer and server. Keep in mind that there is a current SQL Server limitation if you enable encryption on the server. Encryption will be for all incoming connections. If you enable encryption on the client computer, all outgoing connections from that client try to make a SSL encrypted connection to any SQL Server. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

As mention SSL encrypts traffic between servers and you use it to prevent people or applications from sniffing the network traffic to see what data is sent. Often used if your connecting over a WAN connection or similar. You don’t often use it if the server hosting the application and the SQL server being used sit on the same switch. /Argyle
thank you
]]>