Free up the space on sql server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Free up the space on sql server

HI, I have question regarding the sql 2005 server. I have database on the server which are set to simple recovery mode option since we don’t have any tranction going on. My question is that how big should I keep the log size if we don’t use the transcation. I would like to utilize my database using less growth and more free space. What I should be looking at? My database is used only for read only access and updating some table. please help me what I look into as far as not to use lot of disk space. thanks

I’ve moved to relevant forum. BTW: I suggest to leave automatic grow in that case.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
Leonardo Da Vinci Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
If the database size is around 20GB and you can set the Transaction log to 2gb, if the hard disk space is not a concern. The Tlog is required in order to perform the internal processess of databases during optimization jobs and any bulk load operations. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>