Hardware and host recommendations for hosted SQL | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Hardware and host recommendations for hosted SQL

I am evaluating using a hosted SQL server and would like feedback regarding my options.
This is for 50-75 concurrent users, mostly reading data, ~20gb database. Softlayer has this option: Server Dual Processor Dual Core Opteron 2220 – 2.8GHz – 4 x 1MB cache $379.00/month
Ram 4 GB DDRII Registered 667 $50.00/month
Disk System 4 x 73GB 15k RPM SA-SCSI RAID 10 $250/month
Database Software Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Workgroup (32bit) $120.00/month I realize the storage is less than ideal with only 4 disks, but that is the max they offer.
Is this system adequate or does another host offer better (yet still cost effective) solutions for SQL server? Thanks!

Check: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16995
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
it is hard to tell if hosting is included,
or is this just the hardware
ask to separate
in general, i do not like to rent equipment from the HP web site
ProLiant DL385G2
2 x Opteron 2218 2.6GHz
4x1GB memory
4 x 72GB 15K
$7902 Dell PowerEdge 2900
2 x Xeon 5150 2.66GHz
4 x 1 GB memory
4 x 73GB 15K
$5092 so you are goin g to pay $679/mo for how long (exl SW)
Luis and Joe – thank you for your feedback. We are going the hosted route because this is for an Internet application. It would cost $1,000s to get even a 10mb/s connection without the redundant carriers offered by the host. So, I guess it comes down to this: If we are limited to 4 disks:
(2) RAID 1 – OS / log files
(2) RAID 1 – data files Or
(4) RAID 10 – OS, log, and data files Which is going to be faster? And roughly how much faster would this be:
(2) RAID 1 – OS
(4) RAID 10 – data I realize it is highly application dependent, but all other factors being equal, how do these configurations compare? Thank you so much for your quick responses.

i think you should look for a host provider that lets you rent space and bandwidth
and put your own equipment there
i know some that have purchase arrangements with hw vendors it taking a quick look at the softlayer site,
i do seriously suggest you look for another provider
]]>