Hardware configuration for sql server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Hardware configuration for sql server

Hello, I search information for making my server.
I have 7 database and i have n dts lots.
I want a server who was fast, very.
I have 20 users.
My usualy process was crystal report process and olap process.
Olap will be on other server.
I have 1 000 000 record insert by day into n database, into n tables.
My stockage, now is : 137.5 Go
The day evolution are : 1057 Mo
The are no suppression of record.
How can i find the caracteristic of my powerfull server ? Sorry for my poor english. Thanks
Whatsoever is the hardware, you must configure the application in order to gain the performance with few good indexes and regular database consistency checks. http://www.microsoft.com/sql/partners/hardware/hardwareservers.asp for SQL hardware details. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I am assuming you are inserting 1M rows/day in batches instead of small individual transactions.
If you are buying a new system, the options will start with either Xeon, Opteron or Itanium processors.
To work with 137GB of data, i would consider either a 2 or 4 CPU system. To work with OLAP and cube building, it may be very important to be in full 64-bit mode. The current generation of Xeon in 64-bit capable, so it Opteron.
For the OS, there is a W2K3 beta for EM64.
However there is no 64-bit SQL Server 2000 for EM64, there is only SQL Server 2005 beta 2.
If you are not willing to this with beta software,
This reduces the solution to Itanium.
At the 2 CPU level, Xeon and Opteron will probably have better SQL performance than Itanium, but the Itanium should have better ability to build cubes. The other major item in your server is the storage.
Most new 2-4 CPU systems will have more than adequate IO capability. However, the 1U form factor system may not, so consider only the 2U rack mount or 4-5U form factor systems with more internal storage. It is neccesary to have excellent sequential transfer capability to work with large amounts of data. I would reccomend having 3-4 U320 SCSI channels.
One option is 4-8 internal disks, and 10-14 external disk.
The internal disks can be distributed across 1 or 2 SCSI channels.
External storage units typcially hold 14-disks, which can be split into 2 7-disk channels. Hence populate 5-7 disks in each channel for 10-14 external disks.
this should given your system up to 600MB/sec sequential transfer capability, depending on RAID level.
]]>