Hardware/Performance | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Hardware/Performance

I know Microsoft recommends not changing the memory and processor configuration settings for SQL Server, but our network engineering supervisor doesn’t like the idea that SQL Server could potentially take all of the memory, if needed, and leave the OS and other applications with nothing. For example, we have a 2000 OS, SQL 2000, and a Java Application front end running. Is there any detail regarding how SQL shares resources with the OS and other applications. He doesn’t like it when I say, "Just trust Microsoft" I’ve read your article:
http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_configuration_settings.asp Is there anything from MS supporting my issues? ———-
T Kelley
MS, MCDBA, OCA, CIW
SQL Server will not take all the RAM from a server, leaving the OS and other apps no memory. It almost always plays nice. There are some exceptions, like when you use AWE memory, but that doesn’t apply to you. SQL Server takes the memory it needs for optimal performance, assuming it exists, but if it does not exist, because other apps are using it, it won’t take it away from them. Also, SQL Server and the OS work well together, so you never have to worry about SQL Server taking away RAM from the OS, if the OS needs it. But if it makes your boss feel better, you can limit how much RAM SQL Server uses, as you already know. The downside to this is that SQL Server may not get enough RAM for optimal performance, and performace will suffer. That is a choice your boss has to make. Of course, your boss can also invest in more RAM for the server, or move the Java app to another server. He has to decide where the trade-offs in performance and cost come into play. In the Books Online (SP3), there is an article called "Dynamically Managing Memory on Windows NT and Windows 2000" that you may find useful. ——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Hi Tkelley Don’t worry about memory utilization in SQL 2000 and Wins2000.
SQL is quite intelligent in memory utilization. it manages the memory itself not for itself but for OS resources.
I’m also managed SQL 2000 Clusterd server with Windows 2000 Adv Server. Both is going well.
]]>