Hardware Problem?? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Hardware Problem??

Currently i’m running a application process(with SQL server 2000 SP3)on two machines:
Machine 1:
Simple machine:
P4 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 1 x 73 Gb SCSI2 10kb Machine 2(Server):
IBM Xseries206 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 3 x 73 Gb SCSI2 10kb with RAID 1 with one disk on spare (Hot-Swap). The process in machine 1 takes 6 hrs, in machine 2 it takes 17 HOURS.
What is the bottleneck here? The RAID configuration against the simple internal disk?, they are both similar with the diference of the hot-spare on server.
Regards, Paulo Soares
Hi ya, I’d say start with updating stats or dbcc reindex if the problem persists then check things like query execution plans to see if there is a difference. The RAID1 will be slower for writes than RAID 0, but this seems excessive on the face of it Cheers
Twan
I’ have done that but the database is the some in both machines, exatly the some because they are a backup of the original database. Regards, Paulo Soares
Does the IBM machine have a hyperthreaded CPU? if so, what is the effect of disabling HTT? Both have the same OS? using SQLProfiler to look for differences in duration for each statement might be useful to see if there is something in particular that is causing the difference or if it is a general OS/hardware problem Cheers
Twan
Yes they have the some CPU.Do you thing the problem may be from the RAID controller or the RAID 1 that stucks the performance? Regards, Paulo Soares
When you said: "but the database is the some in both machines, exatly the some because they are a backup of the original database.", mean nothing regards statistics. Did you update statistics (Twan`s suggestion) with fullscan in IBM box?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Yes i have updated the statistics in IBM machine as well like i did in the other machine.
The problem persists. Regards, Paulo Soares
I am far from expert in this area, but: How is mirroring implemented? Does controller support it or it is software raid (os level)?
This server has a raid controller that that let you make RAID 1 and 0.I have implemented
RAID 1.It’s not a software RAID. Regards, Paulo Soares
To confirm if there is a disk problem, run Monitor Performance.
Use counters: Physical Disk:Avg. Disk Queue Length, Disk Reads bytes, Disk Writes bytes.
Also counters for Memory (pages/sec) and CPU. Run in both Boxs and look what are the differences. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
I have done what you said.It’s not a disk problem.Do you think RAID controller or RAID 1 configuration slow down this system? Regards, Paulo Soares
If all counters are ok, then I think you have a RAID problem. Check configuration with your provider.
Luis Martin
Also run PROFILER to catch slow running queries and check the execution plan for those queries and fit in correct indexes. Try to run the queries in the set of stored procedure for speedy execution, BTW what is the memory configured for the SQL and ensure all the database maintenance jobs are completing in time with no issues.
HTH Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>