Have Hardware Config Recommendations Changed? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Have Hardware Config Recommendations Changed?

I’m new to SQL 2005 and would like to know if the hardware configuration best practices for SQL 2000 still apply to SQL 2005. Thanks, Dave

Yes, from a hardware perspective, the best practices for 2000 are more or less still the same for 2005. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
i think the only major difference is it makes sense to configure for better table scan performance
S2K could only do 700-800MB/sec in a table scan to disk
S2K5 can do over 12GB/sec, but 1-2GB/sec might be a reasonable goal
Hi Joe, Are you referring to a different stripe size or some other internal configuration change to take advantage of better table scan performance? Dave
hardware configuration best practices
I believe these will have changes based upon the latest development of new hardware components, recently during a HP preview at our office they have suppliedhttp://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-2948ENW.pdf#search="sql server hardware best practice" document link that gives more information about how HP is reacting to SQL 2005. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thanks for sharing that article Satya. Had not seen it. But I think, for your standard run of the mill SQL Server, the best practices for hardware for 2000 and 2005 are more or less the same. It is in the high end servers with very heavy loads where you may find some minor differences, as Joe and the article above suggests. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
dba dave, i am talking about having enough IO channels and disks to power through big queries, not config and tuning which rarely does much on the HP paper
jeez!
i am inclined to think that SAN storage system, EVA4000, 28FC disks & 28 FATA disks excluding the tape library probably costs $100K list notice with 20 disks they are getting 3000 IOPS which is 150 IOPS per disk,
a properly configured DA storage should be doing 200-300 IOPS per disk within the 15ms latency look at the backup and restore rates for their FATA solution (84 & 44MB/sec)
what kind of cr#p are they pushing?
a proper solution should be doing 500MB/sec!

]]>