Help Configuring Disks | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Help Configuring Disks

I’m setting up a new active/passive high availability SQL Server Cluster. The server’s are connected to an EMC Clarion disk array. There are 12 (73gb) disks in the array and 2 (36gb) disks in each server. There are 13 unused drive bays in the array. Can someone recommend the best way to setup the drives? This server will host several different databases for different systems. All of the systems are OLTP and use a simple recovery model. Thanks for the help.

the most important item is: each performance critical database must have its own set of dedicated physical disks for the logs.
ie, if 1 database, then 1 pair of disk for that the vendor rep may suggest putting all 12 disks in 1 RAID array/group, making multiple little LUNS out of it, then allocating pieces to each app, if so, this rep has never supported a real database before, and has probably caused imense pain for every SAN he installed
Thanks for the input. I think I’m going to setup 2 RAID 10 arrays. 1 for data and 1 for log files and 2 RAID 1 arrays. 1 for system dbs and 1 for tempdb. Unfortunately, I don’t have the luxury of having seperate devices for each db log file. How does this sound?
Brad ,
please remove this poker player from the board hsGoswami
[email protected]
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemant Goswami

Hemant
I’ve deleted that post and which is posted on other sections also. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>