How to change the existing licensing key(CD Key) f | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

How to change the existing licensing key(CD Key) f

The scenario is that I installed the SQL server 2000 a few days back with MS default CD key 1111 1111 1111 1111 , Now I received the Original license key from Microsoft,
I would like to change the old default key with new authorized key. I can not go for uninstall of the SQL server 2000. Is there any way of achiving it? Appreciate any help on this. [8D]
S Sivaprasad
——————
S SIVAPRASAD
here you go : hkey_local_machine -> Microsoft -> Microsoft SQL Server -> 80 (‘version no’) -> Registration -> ProductID (right pane)
Regards Hemantgiri S. Goswami
[email protected]
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemant Goswami

Hemantgiri S. Goswami, Sorry I could not found that Registy entry. Can I add it? Please advise. Thanks ——————
S SIVAPRASAD
Hi S SIVAPRASAD,
quote:Originally posted by ssivaprasad Hemantgiri S. Goswami, Sorry I could not found that Registy entry. Can I add it? Please advise. Thanks ——————
S SIVAPRASAD
with this script you can find the registration key of your existing sql server
[bold]
DECLARE @Productid varchar(255)
EXEC master..xp_regread
‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’,
‘SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server80Registration’,
‘ProductId’,
@productid OUTPUT
PRINT @productid
[/bold]
if you are uncomfortable with this find a tool for product key reader tool http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
and to write into registry use this syntax : EXECUTE master..xp_regwrite ‘hKey’,’Key Name’,’String Value’,’Data type’,
‘Value to write’ Regards Hemantgiri S. Goswami
[email protected]
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemant Goswami

Hmm, I see two types of keys in the registry. hkey_local_machine -> Microsoft -> Microsoft SQL Server -> 80 -> Registration -> ProductID and hkey_local_machine -> Microsoft -> Microsoft SQL Server -> 80 -> Registration -> CD_KEY I’ve never heard about a default MS Key though. That the 1111 number work is just a coincident I think. Anyway, what the impact would be changing any of those keys I don’t know. Best to check with Microsoft.

Hi Argyle,
1111 is not a defauly key but its a number which works for all MS installation while before MS starts reg key in bunch of 5 pair registration key …. and its very true to check it…their’s way to change the keys but it has its associated product’s digital id stored in it . thanx Argyle to draw my attention… it will harm if its on production server ! better to try it on test environment
Regards
Hemantgiri S. Goswami
[email protected]

]]>