How to connect a workstation to SQL Server 2005? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

How to connect a workstation to SQL Server 2005?

I have installed a Developer Edition of SQL Server 2005 named instance with mixed authentication
on a Windows 2003 Standard Server. SQL Server Service is running under local
system account. I have not changed any default setting. I want to set up a System DSN in ODBC Data Source Administrator on a Windows
XP SP2 machine to connect to the SQL Server 2005 named instance. But I get
the message Specified SQL Server not found. I have no problem in setting up
System DSN to connect to SQL Server 2000 named instances which is in another
Windows 2003 Standard Server. I have not installed anything from SQL Server
2005 onto the Windows XP machine. Thanks for any help.

How about install 2005 tools on XP. I suppose you have to install at least: 1) .net 2.0
2) SQL server 2005 native client.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hi Luis, Thanks for the reply. Are they required on the workstation? What are the minimum changes to the default configuration of SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition in order to allow connection from another computer?
So far, I believe I need to enable network protocol since the default configuration only enable Shared Memory. I have enabled TCP/IP protocol on the SQL Server 2005. The Windows Firewall/ICS service on the Windows 2003 is not running. Peter
I’m not sure.
But, when you try to install something about 2005, always need .Net 2.0 and support files. Check: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms130828.aspx HTH Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
Other to read: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190611.aspx
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Hi Luis, Thanks for the link. Based on the 1st link, if there is no need to use new features in SQL Server 2005, MDAC is good enough. However, I didn’t see any clear indication that SQL Native Client is not required in the client machine. I always want to install only the required components of any applications but this kind of information is usually not documented or very hard to find it.
Hi Luis, I have found out that my problem is due to the dynamic TCP/IP port of named instance. I can now connect to SQL Server 2005 without installing any SQL Server 2005 component on the client machine after I hardcoded the port # which is listening by the named instance. Peter
Thanks for share.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Enable Net BIOS on the client side and see if you still have to hardcode port. Is 2005 on same network as the client? What kind of network is it? MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Hi derrickleggett, I’m not sure what do you mean by enabling net bios on the client side. The machines are in Windows 2003 network. Please note that the SQL Server 2005 are a named instance not default instance. I believe named instance always get a random port and default instance get 1433.
Thanks.
]]>