How to create dev, test, etc. environment? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

How to create dev, test, etc. environment?

I am new to database administration. What is involved in creating multiple environments?
Do I create a dev environment and then just copy to test, etc? I know how to use the data fine, but creating all the environments is new to me. This is with SQL Server 2000. Thanks.
Yes, but if you can try to create each development environments in different server than production environment. In my oppinion you can have in development server two instances, one for development and other to test. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
I will definitely have the production separate from the other environments.
Can I have all my environments (dev, test, integeration) on the same machine or server and isolate the production environment to its own server? Are there any reasons why I might want to separate them?
Good discussion!!
Basically you have to ensuer that all the envirment are identical with software and sevice packs and more importanlty harwade configurations. I have used multiple instances.
in mutiple instances, You can do with one pc and several dataabases with different databases and you don’t have to keep special attention for the hardware as all the envirments are in same pc.
I beleive different teams should give responsibilities for the ech envirment.
quote:Originally posted by artfuldodger I am new to database administration. What is involved in creating multiple environments?
Do I create a dev environment and then just copy to test, etc? I know how to use the data fine, but creating all the environments is new to me. This is with SQL Server 2000. Thanks.

]]>