how to restore on same computer after format? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

how to restore on same computer after format?

I have a Compaq ML570 server with 4 processors, and six 18 gig drives (4 in use, I will be adding the other 2) that I am using for a data warehouse. I’m not happy with the out of box configuration of the server. The data, log files (sql 2000), and os (win2k) are on a raid 5 array with 3 disks, and I have a raid 0 disk with copies of the raw data (text files)I import into the database. I plan to mirror the os, logs, and raw data on one raid array, and use a raid 5 config on the other controller for the data. Is this a good configuration to use? and what do I need to back up to tape before I wipe the box, and reconfigure the arrays, so I don’t lose any data or stored procedures? Is the master db and user dbs all I need a copy of? Is backing up to tape only for the restore safe? Thanks
John
Better of to take backup for system & user databases on seperate media and on network, sometime you may have issues with TAPE backups. You would get more information from this link http://www.sql-server-performance.com/hardware_tuning.asp] on RIAD levels. And this link http://vyaskn.tripod.com/moving_sql_server.htm] for moving SQL Server and other tips.
HTH _________
Satya SKJ

I have successfully used sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db to do exactly what you are doing. Based on what you have described, your new configuation should work well. —————————–
Brad M. McGehee, MVP
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Make sure you have tested the recovery process on test bed before proceeding on production. _________
Satya SKJ

Thanks for the help. I did test the recovery process on a test bed, and had no problems; however, when I went to restore the db on the production server I had problems because the drive letters had changed. Funny thing is the test bed also had different drive letters than the original configuration (only a large c: drive). Finally I just changed to drive letters in windows to match the old system, and everything is running fine now.
]]>