How to with query analyzer | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

How to with query analyzer

I would like to set up the query analyzer such that if i go to windows explorer, it should not open up a new instance of query analyzer every time i double click on a .sql file. It should open up a new window inside the existing instance of query analyzer. Does anyone know how to do make this happen? Thanks for any advice. Planet…
I haven;t tried the option how to go with, but you can use ISQL to execute such queries directly without opening the QA tool. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

If you click on the New query Icon or hit Ctrl+N in QA, it opens a new window under the same QA instance. Then you can open the .sql file with File/Open.
I think this is not what Planet refers to. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

I’m giving a workaround to open a SQL file without opening a new QA instance.
I just downloaded a program called HSQL so I could run .SQL files on my desktop. It claims to be better than OSQL or ISQL but I have not seen why or how. I test it first in Query Analyzer and then create a script and go. If anyone knows please tell me. One advantage I see is you can set all the server paramaters into an INI file and name it on the command line. But I must say it works. I created a query and created a data cleanup script with it in seconds. Something that was taking hours when Web developers had been using ColdFusion to query the server and then write the script with CFFile. I got it here and have no relation to these people. http://www.hostronix.com/products/utilities/ Doug
]]>