Import some excel data into sql sevrer 2k5 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Import some excel data into sql sevrer 2k5

Hi dear buddies!! I want to import some excel data into sql sevrer 2k5 through Data Transfermation wizard … The Server doesn’t have Microsoft Office Package.. Is it possible to import the data from excel without installing MS Office package? if means how? Advance thanks 4 ur kind reply!!! Regards,
Shiva
(+91-98948-45445)
[Looking For a Job in India]
follow these steps (a) Press right button on the Database to which u want to import the data
(b) Select "Task"
(d) "Import Data option" is there
(e) rest follow the instruction (same as in 2000) you can do the same using OPENROWSET() SELECT * into testtable FROM OPENROWSET(‘Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0’,
‘Excel 8.0;Database=f:someexcelfile.xls’, ‘SELECT * FROM worksheet1’) Madhu
Be prepared to solve a lot of issues regarding date formats, incomplete dates, non-numeric numbers, numeric strings, etc. You should prefer flat text files, with a pipeline (|) as field delimiter, and double-quote (") as text delimiter. Impose strict rules about the format of each column, do not accept anything that does not follow those rules.
Yes you can do it as suggested by DTS and in this case SSIS is very handy to provide compatability for such file versions even though it is excel or notepad type of it. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Thank u.. but my quetion is.. Is it possible to import the data from excel without installing MS Office package? Regards,
Shiva
(+91-98948-45445)
[Looking For a Job in India]
You don’t need an Office installation. The SQL Server installation itself includes the necessary drivers for the Excel file format.
]]>