Incorrect version shown | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Incorrect version shown

Hi, I have installed SQL Server 2005 SP2 on my production server. I am using enterprise version of SQL Server 2005. When I am using commande ‘PRINT @@VERSION’, the system still shows SP1. Here is the output:- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – 9.00.3042.00 (Intel X86)
Feb 9 2007 22:47:07
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)
But, at the bottom, it show (9.0 SP2) right below to the message window where you can see ‘Query executed successfully’. Could you please tell, me why it is not showing SP2 in the message window? I had installed server pack 2 on other server, that is showing SP2. Ehsan
That SP1 is for Windows and not for SQL Server. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
"(Build 3790: Service Pack 1)" is for the Windows operating system, which has its own service packs. 9.0 is the version of SQL Server 2005, and so SP2 is for SQL Server.
you should co-relate the build number (3042) with the SP2. ***********************
Dinakar Nethi
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dinakar/
Dinakar, I got it. Thanks. Ehsan
To get the clear info use the following…when you don’t know build numbers… SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY(‘ProductLevel’)) ServicePack,
CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY(‘ProductVersion’)) BuildNumber MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Mohammed, Thanks for your efforts. I have used xp_msver stored procedure and got the same result (ProductVersion). Thanks Ehsan
I don’t think xp-msver procedure gives you sevice pack info…
I belive it gives only the build number what you get from @@version then you have file the SP level based on the build number. The select statement posted above gives you sp level and build number together… MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

Mohammad, Here is the output of xp_msver stored procedure:- 1ProductNameNULLMicrosoft SQL Server
2ProductVersion5898249.00.3042.00
3Language1033English (United States)
4PlatformNULLNT INTEL X86
5CommentsNULLNT INTEL X86
6CompanyNameNULLMicrosoft Corporation
7FileDescriptionNULLSQL Server Windows NT
8FileVersionNULL2005.090.3042.00
…………………
Ehsan
I used this procedure many times, I know the output….
What I am trying to say is you should know the what build number belongs to what service pack when you run xp_msver and @@version where as if you run select posted by me it will give you build number and service pack number too… MohammedU.

Ehsan
Whats wrong with other explanation in this post?
Have you followed them? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>