Install 2 version of sql server in same box | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Install 2 version of sql server in same box

Hi, Something need your help, may be sound funny but we have to do find some source to prove to our customer. Currently we have one customer is using sql server version 7 with their old system, and now they want to install our system which request sql server version 2000, and they dont want to bought new server for this sql server 2000. Instead they want to install it in same box but different harddisk, can any one provide me any idea regarding this?

For development, I have a desktop that has both 7.0 and 2000 active at the same time, no problem. Not sure if it’s a good idea on a production server. Also, you might be able to restore a 7.0 backup as a new database on a 2000 installation – but you’ll need to review the whole thing: references to objects outside the database, calls to objects that are in a 7.0 system database, system tables, etc. etc.
You need to install SQL 2000 as a named instance and check whether application code can be configured to do so. Ensure the hardware can copeup the load for both SQL server versions, test it before deploying. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi, Actually my concern is any draw back on performance, resource require, and speed? the 2 version of sql server have to run together, because both support different system. Currently my customer server spec is Pentium III, 512 RAM, 40G hard disk.

In that case forget about installing another instance on this system, it will affect the performance badly. Either you purchase more RAM & H/w disks or another system with better high-spec. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
512 RAM seems a bit low if you want to have both SQL 7 and SQL 2000 running and have RAM over for the operating system. When it comes to CPU it depends on how much load the applications will add. If it’s heavy load a PIII might not be enough but if it’s smallar applications it could work fine. When you say harddisk do you mean a single IDE disk or a RAID volume like RAID1? In any case I would probably add 512 RAM to the server, set SQL 7 to use 400, SQL 2000 to use 400 and leave the rest to the OS. Then add another RAID1 volume if that’s what you use already. Or you could migrate the older applications to SQL 2000 and run SQL 2000 only on the current system.
]]>