Install Question – Multiple names instances | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Install Question – Multiple names instances

I have a named instance of SQL Server 2K Standard Edition installed on a single Server running WIN2K. I would like to install a second named Instance of SQL Server 2K on the same box. When I rerun the SQL Server installation.. I believe what I have to do is:
rerun install and select ‘Create a New Instance’
Deselect default Instance and make it a ‘named Instance’ I guess my question is.. is any of this disputive to the named Instance already running on the box????????
Not sure what you mean … Did you install the first instance as a named instance? and are you now trying to install a default instance? If the wizard allows you to add an unnamed instance to that server, I can’t see any reason why it would be disruptive to the existing instance, other than that the instances will be competing for the resources available on the server.

I have one named instance on the Server already – there is no default Instance installed. I just want to know if the actual install of the second named instance that I want to add is disruptive at all the existing named instance??????
If it is, I’ll do a full set of backups on the existing instance first and do it off-hours as well..
I think there is no problem to install second instance.
But, just in case, is a good idea to do full backups.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
No issues!!! Only thing to note is default instalaation,and data file will be in …
C:programfilesmicrosoft sql serverMSSQL$Instance name -Rajiv

Thank you everyone!
There is no such requirement to have a default instance and then install named instance, you can install named instance as per your requirement and you can record the installation steps for ease. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>