Install sql 2000 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Install sql 2000

Currently my company has 220 servers that is running sql 7.0 with 7 databases per server. We are planning to migrate to sql 2000 within the next couple of months along with the databases. SQL 7 and SQL 2000 can be installed on the same machine, but would to know if we need to make any modifications as to how sql 2000 is installed and configured (for ports etc). The databases have odbc connections to the application that also will have to be changed to point to the new sql 2000 databases. Should we uninstall sql 7 and then install 2000 and attach the databases or could both of them exist together. If they exist together will it create any conflicts with the application or sql by itself etc.

HI ya, SQL7 and SQL2k can happily run on the same box, however
– applications will continue to use the SQL7 databases until they change their connection strings/odbc DSN to include the instance name of the SQL2k instance. Connecting to servername goes to the default SQL instance which will be the SQL7 instance. Connecting to servernameinstancename will connect to that specific index
– SQL7 and SQL2k will listen on different ports but there is a discovery mechanism built in using port 1434
– SQL7 and SQL2k together will require more resources, especially if both are actually used at the same time
How big are your 1500 databases? How heavily utilised is the current hardware? If they are small-ish (less than 1GB each) and not that heavily utilised, then perhaps consider consolidating to a few larger servers? In which case I’d build the new environment on new servers probably larger active/active clusters Cheers
Twan
As most of it covered by Twan, if the usage of those databases is heavy then I suggest to host SQL 7 and 2K databases seperately on different machines. In a production environment this is not ideal which will have cycle relation in slow performance. Fyi,http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/administration/2000/security/securingsqlserver.asp more on security part. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>