Installing SQL SERVER 2005 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Installing SQL SERVER 2005

I have SQL SERVER 2000 Standard edition on my Laptop.
I am trying to install SQL SERVER 2005 Standard Edition. When i tried to install SQL 2005, I was notified that the previous database services (SQL 2000) were installed (available) and trying to install the other services (reporting services) as i have not installed SQL 2000 Reporting on my Laptop. I uninstalled SQL 2000 and coul able to install SQL 2005 successfully with all services. Is it something i can not install SQL 2005 on an existing SQL 2000. I knew that this is foolish question, but how could i install both on the same machine. Is there any setting i need to look into before i install SQL 2005. Thanks,
Murali.
I have installed 2 sql 2000 instances and one 2005 instances in one PC without problem.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Thanks Martin. But i am not, any guess?
SQL Server 2005 (default instance), SQL Server 2000 (named instance)and SQL Express (SQLExpress named instance) all running on my machine all at once. So what was the error or information you got when tried to install SQL 2005. Have you tried installing named instance of SQL 2005 in that case without uninstalling SQL 2000.
Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I was not allowed to install named instance as well. I was provided a screen which shows the existing services (database & Analysis services) installed on this machine (just for an FYI) and asked me to click NEXT. Then the next screen shows me that it is installing reporting services. Thanks,
Murali.
As this is your laptop you can clea uninstall SQL 2005 instances and then reinstall SQL 2000 with latest SP in order to continue again. This time try installing a named instance on SQL 2000 and default instance for SQL 2005, as you cannot have 2 default instances of SQL server on same machine. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>