Invalid cursor state | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Invalid cursor state

Hi! I get rapidly ‘Invalid Cursor State’ in my windows application event viewer. I found the following on Microsoft site: * In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, you may receive the "Invalid cursor state" error message when Microsoft SQL Server runs out of resources while attempting to save selected tables or a database diagram. This error is returned because of insufficient space in your database or transaction log to complete the save process. To correct this problem, check to see if the database or the transaction log is full. If so, increase the size of the database to accommodate the change. Check other system resources or contact your system administrator. What should I do? How? Best Regards,
Farhad Raeisi _________________________________________________________________
Add photos to
First of all, have you checked the obvious? In other words, is there empty space in your database and transaction log, and do you have these set to grow, or are they fixed? Let us know what you find, then we will go from there.
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
Both Data file and Transaction log are set to "Automatically grow file" by percent 10 and Maximum file size is set to "Unrestricted file growth.
My Server is Compaq PIII 1.13GHz withe 1GB RAM. I have 17GB free space on my harddisk that my database is located.

I have done some research on this issue for you, but I found out that there are many potential reasons for this error message. My recommendation is to create a Profiler Trace and try to capture the event that is causing the error message so you can narrow down where the error is occuring. Once you identify the application and code causing the error, resolving it will be much easier.
——————
Brad M. McGehee
Webmaster
SQL-Server-Performance.Com
if you can, try to go ahead and truncate the transaction log. however, i have to admit i have seen a lot of errors with enterprise manager, and it has mainly to do with the fact, in my case, that enterprise manager is an mmc snap-in. have you tried rebooting the box? that might help.
"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"
You should check the source for that error under the event viewer, in my experience I have seen these errors under 6.5 version using cursors and in replication which has got solution to fix. BTW what is the OS and SP used? Satya SKJ

]]>