IP Addresses of TCP/IP Properties | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

IP Addresses of TCP/IP Properties

I want to understand the IP Addresses tab of the TCP/IP Properties in SQL Server Configuration Manager. The following settings are from the default named instance of SQL Server 2005 Express (computernameSQLEXPRESS) on a Windows XP SP2 machine with IP Address 192.168.1.151. IP1 has the following settings:
Active: Yes
Enabled: No
IP Address: 192.168.1.151
TCP Dynamic Ports: 0
TCP Port: 1433 IP2 has the following settings:
Active: Yes
Enabled: No
IP Address: 127.0.0.1
TCP Dynamic Ports: 0
TCP Port: IPAll
TCP Dynamic Ports: 1121
TCP Port: Is the instance using Dynamic Port or Static Port? Normally, I will see blank for TCP Port when TCP Dynamic Ports is 0 in IP1 but in this case, TCP Port has 1433. My guess is that the instance is using Dynamic Port and the port is 1121.
I never work with express, but in any Server the default port is 1433.
If you want to change it, in sql properties (EM or Management Studio) there is a place to do it.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hi Luis, Thanks for your reply. My question actually applies to any edition of SQL Server 2005 not just Express. The Server Network Utility of SQL Server 2000 can only specify a Default Port for TCP/IP. But in SQL Server 2005, that settings has been splitted into ip1, ip2, and ipall and I want to understand how they work.
Keep in mind that the ip-address you get to see is stored in the registry !
It is the ip-address that was in use when you installed sqlserver !
Using another networkcard may get you a new ipaddress whilst the registrykey will still contain the old one.
Your sqlserver will work, only the ipinfo is wrong.
The portnumber is accurate.
Hi alzdba, Which registry contains the ip address in use when SQL Server is installed? I’m also trying to understand the registry used by SQL Server.

Hi,
I don’t remember the exact but it is located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpip Regards Hemantgiri S. Goswami
MS SQL Server MVP
————————-
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemantgiri S. Goswami http://hemantgirisgoswami.blogspot.com
Here’s where I found it
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLibTcpIP1]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000
"Active"=dword:00000001
"TcpPort"=""
"TcpDynamicPorts"="0"
"DisplayName"="Specific IP Address"
"IpAddress"="***.***.***.***"
KBAs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823938
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841394 Fyi. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Hi alzdba, I found the registry you mentioned: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLibTcpIP1] but I also found another registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerSQLEXPRESSMSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLibTcp] which does not have any subkeys but have the string value TcpPort. Any idea what is this registry for?

– are you running both sqlexpress and sqlserver2005 on the same machine ? – btw : did you check the KB Satya mentioned [?] [^]
KB823938 defines the behaviour of this issue and more information on how you have to control the settings, IMHO its not good to attach on registry without a testing. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Hi alzdba, Yes, I’m running the following SQL Server instances in the same machine: SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
SQL Server 2005 Express
SQL Server 2000
Hi Satya, Thanks for those MS article links.

quote:Originally posted by pcsql Hi alzdba,
Yes, I’m running the following SQL Server instances in the same machine:
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
SQL Server 2005 Express
SQL Server 2000
As you will have noticed when reading the KB Satya refered to, you should find a set of reg-keys per sqlinstance.
…MSSQL.1.. for your first SQL2005 instance
…SQLEXPRESS… for your sqlexpress instance You’ll also find a set for you sql2000 instance, buth they don’t store the ipaddress with sql2000. (…MSSQLServerMSSQLServer…)

Hi alzdba, I have these registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerSQL2005
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerSQLEXPRESS The MSSQL.1 and SQL2005 seems to be for the instance SQL2005 and the MSSQL.2 and SQLEXPRESS are for the instance SQLEXPRESS.
– your key SQL2005 is the pointer from the named instance to the correct MSSQL.x-regkey.
Likewize for the SQLEXPRESS.

]]>