is ROW_NUMBER() function exist in Express? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

is ROW_NUMBER() function exist in Express?

Dear All, I’m using in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition in my local pc. But when I use ROW_NUMBER() function, an error occured saying like this: Msg 195, Level 15, State 10, Line 1
‘ROW_NUMBER’ is not a recognized function name. This is my query: SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY city) AS [Row Number by Record Set],
account_id,
city
FROM cust_city_sapcic Is this function not exist in Express Edition only?

All enhancement in T-sql is available in Express also. You may be using Managment Studio Expess to connect to SQL Server 2000 database. run select @@Version and see Madhu
Hi Madhu, Yup, You’re right, I’m connecting to sql server 2000 database, so the conclusion, I can use row_number() for database in SQL Server 2005 only, not other version. That’s some important knowledge for me. Thx for ur quick reply…
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam All enhancement in T-sql is available in Express also. You may be using Managment Studio Expess to connect to SQL Server 2000 database. run select @@Version and see Madhu

You can only use T-SQL syntax that is supported by the server instance to which you’re connected, the client tool is irrelevant.
]]>