Is SQL using all my memory? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Is SQL using all my memory?

We just upgraded our SQL server to 32GB of RAM, Windows 2003 EE, SQL 2000 EE. SQL has AWE on, set for max memory of 28GB, and dynamic memory allocation. SQL Enterprise Manager indicates it is only using 4GB of memory. Is there any way to verify this is true, and if so, why is it not using the full 28 GB? Thanks
Perhaps it just doesn’t need to claim more RAM. Dynamic allocation, so it tries to claim only as much as it needs to.
That was what I said, but my boss has his doubts. I was looking for a way to know for sure.
I take it you are running SP4 on x64 hardware….SQL Server is still a 32bit application in this configuration therfore you need to enable AWE and set max server memory. Bert
I missing something or SQL Enterprise only can reach 8GB? Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
x64 supports more memory, the MAX SQL server can use I think is 64GB Bert
The hardware is x32. SQL EE supports upto 64 GB of memory, Windows 2003 EE upto 32 GB memory. Normally, x32 only supports 4 GB of memory. AWE is what enables SQL to use more, and PAE enables Windows to use more.
EE edition on 32bit only supports 8GB of memory.

To get more information on memory consumption by SQL server use PERFMON (SYSMON) to capture memory, SQL SERver: Memory counters. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I found the boot.ini was missing the /pae switch. After adding it and a reboot, perfmon shows SQL total server memory as 29,369,256 KB. Thanks all
]]>