Issue with AGENT service | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Issue with AGENT service

HI , *I found all my jobs failed for last 1 week.its shows last run date,but next run date is ‘date and time not available’ .when right click job name , view history, gives error ‘cannot perform this operation while SQLserveragent service is starting.Please try again’
*I checked AGENT service, and its running,chekd AGENT error log and found ‘waiting for SQLserver to start ‘
*I checked ,both SQLserver and SQLagent are runnig fine.I just restarted SQLAgent service and issue is still there ,all job failed for last one week due to this AGENT problem.
*As mentioned in some documents i checked SQLserver log,and found SQLserver is running in thread mode processing ,so there is no issue with that also . then what could be the issue here, any one have any idea ?
-Rajiv
May be reinstall last service pack?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
select @@version Microsoft SQLserver 2000 – 8.00.760 . is this a latest one?
No, this one is SP3, last one is SP4.
I suggest to re-install sp3a and see wha’t goin on with agent.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Please confirm the privileges on the account used to start SQLAgent.
Also check the values for job history execution from msdb using SP_HELP_JOB_HISTORY. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi i had a talk with my client and he said there was a appli: upgrade and later they restarted SQLserver , caused this problem. Its resolved now. *stoped SQLSERVERAGENT (it had error in its log as ‘waiting to start SQLserver service..)
*Stoped SQLSERVER
*restarted SQLSERVER
*restarted SQLSERVERAGENT Now everythin looks fine. Thanks guys for all your suggestions . –Rajiv
]]>