Job Access | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Job Access

Hello,
I have a question regarding jobs on SQL 2K. I have a job owned by ‘sa’. I would like to give a regular user access to run that job. When I login with that user’s id and try to run the job using sp_start_job, I get a message that the job does not exist. My question is that is there anyway I can give that user access to run that job. Thanks for any input. Rinu
the user is not having rights to execute or view that job. Thanks N’ Regards
DJ
BOL defines:Execute permissions default to the public role in the msdb database. A user who can execute this procedure and is a member of the sysadmin fixed role can start any job. A user who is not a member of the sysadmin role can use sp_start_job to start only the jobs he/she owns. When sp_start_job is invoked by a user who is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, sp_start_job will be executed under the security context in which the SQL Server service is running. When the user is not a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, sp_start_job will impersonate the SQL Server Agent proxy account, which is specified using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account. If the proxy account is not available, sp_start_job will fail. This is only true for Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 and Windows 2000. On Windows 9.x, there is no impersonation and sp_start_job is always executed under the security context of the Windows 9.x user who started SQL Server.

Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>