jobs running for too long | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

jobs running for too long

Hello,
Is there a way to tell a job to fail (move to next step) if it runs over an exceeded period of time? Thanks
J
The next step does not depend on first one?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
From my experience you can only "stop" the job as a whole thus stopping all the steps. If "step2" is not dependent on "step1" then it would be better for you to split the job into two (2) jobs and then monitor create a monitor to "watch" how long the job in question has been executing and "stop" it based on that criteria.j If "step2" is dependent on "step1" of the current job then just monitor the entire job process and "stop" it if it runs too long. If "step1" does recurrent processing you could put code in place to check the length of execution before beginning another "loop" to determine if it has been executing too long and then exit. Make certain your fall through logic on the job set-up is correct to handle it. Dbu
In this case, no, the next step would simply send an SMTP email that the first step failed. I am using Litespeed and I just found that two jobs that were supposed to be backing up trans logs have been running since yesterday. Since they didn’t complete or fail, I didn’t get any notice. J
I suggest to contact Quest people to find out what is the reason.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
Ditto, I use LiteSpeed as well. Check out the online support to see if your problem is already listed with a resolution or more info. Dbu
]]>