L2 Cache / machine advice | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

L2 Cache / machine advice

Hey, We have a 2.2 quad proc sql 2000 box w/ 2 megs l2 cache & 4 gigs of ram.
A test quad 3.2 w/ 1 meg L2 cache sql 2005 & 8 gigs of ram.
The 3.2 has a superior drive setup with all raid 0.
(We have another backup too, that is why we have raid 0). We do 99% inserts. Our inserts are very basic. There
are just tons of them.
The 2.2 quad has handled it all.
The 3.2 quad has dropped tons of data being inserted.
I have done every tweak for sql 2005 I’ve seen and discussed. Do you think it’s related to the cache or sql version?
I’ve monitored the drives and the 2000 box even ques more than
the 2005 box. It still captures everything while the 2005 box
cannot. Thanks!
what api is used to do the inserts
what do you mean by drop,
is there a sql error message, a client api error? i am more inclined to think this is a log disk perf issue,
could also be a HT issue if there is a difference, disable HT if enabled and retest.
also, collect the disk counters i list in thehttp://www.sql-server-performance.com/qdpma instructions section
quote:Originally posted by joechang what api is used to do the inserts
what do you mean by drop,
is there a sql error message, a client api error? i am more inclined to think this is a log disk perf issue,
could also be a HT issue if there is a difference, disable HT if enabled and retest.
also, collect the disk counters i list in thehttp://www.sql-server-performance.com/qdpma instructions section

Hey Joe, I just disabled HT about 30 min ago and testing that. I will check out those counters. Thank you! We have custom C++ software that inserts. What is so bizaar is no complaints on inserting from our app. We’ve used it for years with sql 2000 and it works well. It’s like the DB handles the info from our app, Sql puts it in memory, then it never inserts it. I waited a while yesterday after business was done and the inserts never happened. Thanks!
it is possible the difference in informational messages sent by 2005 vs 2000 is confusing your client app run profiler on both 2000 & 2005 to see if there is a difference in what is actually being sent to sql
See what your cache settings are on the RAID controller for the 2005 server. If write cache is enabled, shut it off and see what the results are. It sounds like a hardware issue if you actually have committed data disappearing with no error trail. We had that happen with a piece of art (cough, cough), old compaq enclosure once. Of course, since the idiots didn’t bother having redundancy or battery backup, it was their fault anyway (IMO). MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
quote:Originally posted by derrickleggett See what your cache settings are on the RAID controller for the 2005 server. If write cache is enabled, shut it off and see what the results are. It sounds like a hardware issue if you actually have committed data disappearing with no error trail. We had that happen with a piece of art (cough, cough), old compaq enclosure once. Of course, since the idiots didn’t bother having redundancy or battery backup, it was their fault anyway (IMO). MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Thank you for the advice guys. We’ll try the drive cache next. Today we’re running from the start on the quad 3.2 without hyperthreading to see what happens.
Thanks!
]]>