LinkedServer Error | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

LinkedServer Error

Tried a number of different ways to setup a LinkedServer to an Access 2000 database (resides on the same server as SQL 2K). Whether using EM or QA, with/without ODBC DSN (system DSN also on the server)… always get an Error 7399. With the following command: USE master
EXEC sp_addlinkedserver ‘MOBDB’, ”, ‘MSDASQL’, ‘MOBDSN’ the linked server shows up in EM. If I try to access the Tables it gives a "Error 7399: OLE DB provider ‘MSDASQL’ reported an error. The provider did not give any infomration about the error. OLE DB error trace (OLE/DB Provider ‘MSDASQL’ IDBInitialize: Initialize returned 0x800004005. The provider did not give any information about the error.)" Then it displays all the tables in the database but from QA when I try to access a table
it says:
Invalid schema or catalog specified for provider ‘MSDASQL’.
OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: Invalid schema or catalog specified for the provider.]. On SQL 7 I was able to link to an access db without a DSN with no problems. On SQL 2K I’m not sure if the problem is security or a provider issues. Does anyone know how to fix this? Liz

Check out: PRB: Error 7399 When You Run a Linked Server Query That Uses the OLE DB Provider for Microsoft Jet
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814398 /Argyle
]]>