Location of MDF and LDF files… | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Location of MDF and LDF files…

Is it more efficient to store your MDF and LDF on the same server as your SQL Server installation or move them to a seperate server? ———-
T Kelley
MS, MCDBA, OCA, CIW
Yes it is efficient to keep them on seperate drives in terms of performance gain and so it will be on same server. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

I don’t follow, you mean one server with SQL Server Installation and other server with SQL Server Production, to replicate, 1rs to backup of second? Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
Similar to what satya described. For example:
Drive C: has the OS (RAID 1)
Drive E: has the SQL Server installation files (RAID 5)
Drive F: has the Production data and log files (RAID 5) I don’t think it would be as efficient to store the data files on a completely seperate server. Do you? Then SQL Server would have to make a network call to the data files. ———-
T Kelley
MS, MCDBA, OCA, CIW
Ok. I undertood another server, no another drive. This case, agree with Satya. Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
]]>