lock request time out period exceeded | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

lock request time out period exceeded

i tried to access current activity on sql and get this
lock request time out period exceeded how dengerous is that messsage?
No dangerous at all.
I work every day with slows servers and when processor or disk are with many queues, I have the same message.
So I use SQL Analyzer to find current activity Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
One of the MSDN article refers
The LOCK_TIMEOUT setting allows an application to set a maximum time that a statement waits on a blocked resource. When a statement has waited longer than the LOCK_TIMEOUT setting, the blocked statement is canceled automatically, and error message 1222 "Lock request time-out period exceeded" is returned to the application. However, any transaction containing the statement is not rolled back or canceled by SQL Server. Therefore, the application must have an error handler that can trap error message 1222. If an application does not trap the error, it can proceed unaware that an individual statement within a transaction has been canceled, and errors can occur because statements later in the transaction may depend on the statement that was never executed.
BTW what is the current value for LOCK_TIMEOUT ?
_________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

well select @@LOCK_TIMEOUT returns -1
but -1 meens beginning of connection
i am not running anything but looking and process info
Have you specified any value for LOCK_TIMEOUT? _________
Satya SKJ

no
Refer to this KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/defaul…port/kb/articles/q308/5/18.ASP&NoWebContent=1 to resolve the issue. _________
Satya SKJ

thank you
]]>