Log File Type | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Log File Type

Hi all, I was trying to capture 24 hours of performance monitor data for our SQL server in a log, Later on I intend to display the values of these counters in a Graphical mode and then record the average values for these counters. I am not sure the log file type I need to select. The options I have are : 1. Binary file (default)
2. Text file (CVS)
3. Text file (TSV)
4. Binary circular file Can some one suggest me what log file type I need to select inorder for me to display the counters in graphical mode ?? Also I will be greatful if someone could give me a brief discription of each of the above file types. Thanks in advance.

I use CVS.
After log is finish I import into excel and no problem at all to build graphics for each counter. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hi Luis, After collecting the values of the counters in the log (with log file type = text file (CVS)), don’t we have an option of displaying the counter values in a graphical mode with in the performamce monitor?? Do we have to export the log to excel and work on in excel to get the average, maximum and the minimum values?? if exporting to excel is the only option please give me the step by step procedure to get the average , maximum and minimun values for the counters. Or if there is an option with in the Perfmon to represent the values of the counters in a graphical form, please let me know how Thanks in advance.

Yes, you have to import csv into excel.
With a wizard you can import all counters.
After that you can build one graphic for each counter (said, date, pages/sec) and add a tendence line to each graphic. Is not a lot work, because you should that once a week or once a month. That kind of work would help you to compare one month to other a so on.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Thanks Luis, Got a hold of the procedue with which i could get the max, min and avg values for the counter values. Thanks once again for your prompt help.! vijay
]]>